Advance Directives

Plan Ahead for the Care You Want

As a competent adult (18 years old and older), it is your right to make decisions regarding your health care. Advance directives are instructions you give about the care you want if you become unable to communicate. You may give these instructions to your family, close friends, nurses or doctors. Writing down your instructions is the best way to make sure everyone respects your wishes.

There are two common types of advance directives:

  • A Living Will
  • Health Care Power of Attorney

Forms can be downloaded from the Nevada Department of Health and Human Service.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Living Wills or Health Care Power of Attorney cannot be notarized or witnessed by any health care provider or employee of a health care facility. Mobile notaries are listed in the phone book, although there are fees associated with these services.

This translation is provided by Google Translate. University Medical Center of Southern Nevada makes no representations or warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, regarding the accuracy of the translation provided above.