Commitment to Caring for HIV/AIDS Patients
UMC has provided highly specialized HIV/AIDS care for community members since 1985, offering groundbreaking therapies and robust testing resources to save and improve lives across Southern Nevada. Led by Dr. Jerry Cade, a renowned pioneer in HIV/AIDS care, the UMC Wellness Center continues to deliver the most advanced care available for community members.
We care for people living with HIV/AIDS and their families, regardless of age or ability to pay. Our clients are referred to one of our specialty physicians. Our specialists work directly with the client’s primary care provider to coordinate and manage all aspects of their health care.
- Management of HIV and hepatitis viral diseases
- T-cell and viral load testing
- Investigational drug studies and access to compassionate use medications
- TB testing and immunizations
- HIV PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis)
- HIV PREP (pre-exposure prophylaxis)
- Hepatitis C treatment and care
- For Ryan White-eligible clients, the Wellness Center offers the following on-site services: Ryan White eligibility, case management, social worker services, nutritional therapy, and mental health services
- Referrals for specialty care (e.g., dental, vision, dermatology, etc.)
IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT OBTAINING AN APPOINTMENT
The UMC HIV/Hepatitis C Wellness Center is an outpatient, hospital-based specialty clinic. We are listed under the hospital’s name in most provider directories. Please note, the hospital will be listed and not the individual names of our physician providers. For referral purposes, UMC HIV/Hepatitis C Wellness Center should be requested.
OFFICE HOURS & LOCATION
701 Shadow Lane, Second Floor
Days/Hours of Operation:
Monday–Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (We are closed for lunch from noon to 1 p.m.)
Our staff will be happy to assist you with appointment scheduling and, as a courtesy, will give you a reminder call one to two days prior to your appointment date. In order to serve all of our patients in a timely fashion, the following guidelines are necessary and will be enforced:
- To save you time, new patients may complete the new patient packet prior to your scheduled appointment. If you are unable to complete the packet in advance, please arrive 30 minutes prior to your first scheduled appointment time for registration purposes.
- All established patients must arrive fifteen minutes prior to their scheduled appointment time for registration purposes.
- For routine medical care of chronic conditions or physicals, please call to schedule your appointments several days to one week in advance. If you only need a lab draw, please call ahead in order for the staff to finalize the orders with your provider.
- Follow-up appointments will be necessary to discuss all lab test results with your physician. It is important to have an accurate list of all medications you take, including the dosages and how often they are taken. Please bring all of your medication bottles with you to each of your appointments. If you have seen any other doctors or have had any medical testing (labs or X-rays) since your last visit, please also bring copies of your medical records to your next appointment.
- All requests for referrals, FMLA forms and disability forms will require an appointment.
- Patients arriving after their scheduled appointment time may be rescheduled.
PRESCRIPTION REFILLS / QUESTIONS
You may be required to see your doctor for prescription refills. In some cases, you can call your pharmacy and ask them to fax us a refill request. All patients must see their physician in a face-to-face visit at least once every six months in order to renew medications. If we receive a refill request and you have not seen your doctor within the last six months, the request may be denied and you will need to call to schedule an appointment.
Requests for Lab Copies, Medical Records, etc. will be addressed within 72 hours of the request date. Please contact our office with your requests, and we will call you to notify you when your records are ready for pickup.
FEES & BILLING
Our clinic accepts most insurances offered in the Las Vegas area, as well as Medicare and Medicaid.
The Wellness Center also receives federal funds from the Ryan White program for people living with HIV/AIDS who do not qualify for other programs. Our office staff will help direct you to the appropriate agencies to apply for these programs.
If you need to be admitted to UMC, your care will be directed by one of our inpatient HIV specialists. These physicians will inform your outpatient primary physician of your hospital care. Upon discharge, you will once again follow up with your chosen primary physician.
UMC’s Wellness Center serves as the center for HIV/AIDS clinical research in Southern Nevada. In addition to in-house clinical trials, the Wellness Center functions as the focal point for communitywide research into new HIV/AIDS therapies, as well as research into the behavioral and psychosocial problems that affect people with HIV/AIDS.
This translation is provided by Google Translate. University Medical Center of Southern Nevada makes no representations or warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, regarding the accuracy of the translation provided above.