Tranquility at UMC
How Does Aromatherapy Work?
Aromatherapy is based on the theory that inhalation or absorption of essential oils triggers changes within the limbic system, the part of the brain associated with memory and emotion. This can stimulate physiological responses of the nervous, endocrine and immune systems. These systems impact your heart rate, blood pressure, breathing, brain wave activity and hormone levels in the body.
How are Essential Oils Used at UMC?
UMC’s Tranquility nurses may offer you essential oils to help you throughout your hospital stay. Essential oils DO NOT take the place of the medications or treatments prescribed by your physician. They are used in conjunction with your prescribed care to provide additional support for the following issues:
At UMC, the most common way of using essential oils is through inhalation of “aromasticks.”
Tranquility at UMC offers a wide array of aromasticks to patients. These small lipstick-sized inhalers can have a big impact on easing discomfort and providing peace of mind to patients. UMC’s Tranquility nurses will consult with you and your care team to find the best options to enhance your healing experience.
- Open aromastick and hold just below your nose.
- Slowly inhale for five seconds.
- Hold for a count of five.
- Slowly exhale.
Repeat the above procedure for five to ten minutes. Replace the cap to keep your aromastick fresh. You can use aromasticks every two to three hours as needed. They last for one to two months.
To support the management of:
These Aromasticks can Help:
Marjoram, Lavender, Eucalyptus
Anxiety & Stress
Lavender, Marjoram, Bergamot, Orange, Ylang Ylang, Geranium
Orange, Grapefruit, Lemon, Ylang Ylang, Geranium
Ginger, Peppermint, Spearmint
Cedar, Cypress, Eucalyptus
Lavender, Marjoram, Bergamot, Cedar
- Use with caution if you have a history of asthma, COPD or allergies.
- Do NOT use if you have a history of arrhythmias, received an organ transplant, or you are pregnant or believe you may be pregnant without consulting your physician or certified aromatherapist at UMC.
- Keep all essential oils out of reach of children.
- Keep essential oils away from your eyes.
- Essential oils are for EXTERNAL USE ONLY; do not drink or put any oils inside your body.
This translation is provided by Google Translate. University Medical Center of Southern Nevada makes no representations or warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, regarding the accuracy of the translation provided above.