Each transplant patient is under the care of a multidisciplinary patient care team that is coordinated by a transplant physician throughout the transplant and discharge phases. Key members of the multidisciplinary team include:
- The Transplant Surgeon and the Transplant Nephrologist are responsible for providing and coordinating the surgical and/or medical services related to the transplant patient. The physicians and surgeons lead the multidisciplinary team during the pre-transplant, transplant and post-transplant phases.
- The Transplant Coordinator is responsible for the coordination of care of the transplant patient in the outpatient setting. The coordinator facilitates the continuity of care, the patient education, the clinical nursing assessments, the clinical interventions and the patient advocacy during the pre-transplant, transplant and post-transplant phases. The Transplant Coordinator acts as a liaison between the transplant center and the patient’s community care team, which include the patient’s dialysis center and referring nephrologist.
- The Transplant Nurse is responsible for the pre-operative and post-operative nursing assessment and the inpatient care of the transplant recipient. The nurse is also involved in the education of patient and family, and in providing emotional and supportive care.
- The Transplant Social Worker is responsible for assessing psychosocial issues that impact illness and recovery. The social worker provides emotional support and guidance to the transplant patient during the pre-transplant, transplant and post-transplant phases.
- The Transplant Dietician is responsible for completing a nutritional assessment of the transplant patient and for providing nutrition counseling services and education during the pre-transplant, transplant and post-transplant phases.
- The Transplant Pharmacist is responsible for the review and evaluation of the transplant patient’s medication regimen and for providing comprehensive medication education during the pre-transplant, transplant and post-transplant phases.
- Transplant Financial Counselor
- Transplant Director/Administrator
- Available Consultants: Infectious Disease, Cardiology, Hematology/Oncology, Immunology, Histocompatibilty and Immunogenetics, Surgical Intensive Care, Pediatric Intensive Care, Psychiatry and Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation.